Radio-Box springs into life

12 hours on and we have a PSU at last! It took a bit of shoehorning to get it into the case, simply because of the diameter of the cables in a very cramped environment but we got there.

With an OS installed, WOL configured and a few other bits on top we’re up and running. At the minute the extremely fast and very silent black cube is sitting on the end of my desk doing its thing!

IMG_0491

Just for the fun of it I’ve tried experimenting with Microsoft’s Remote Desktop Connection. I had been wondering about my options for routing audio from the radio to the remote PC used to access it. Having read up on a few things I was expecting to use a lot of 3rd party applications to do this. So far, using RDC I’ve got the audio from the machine just appearing seamlessly on the remote machine.

Next trick is to get something useful up and running to really put it through its paces!

After a few more hours trying to get WOL working nicely, I’ve resigned myself to using the command line to fire off the magic packet as I just can’t get some of the pretty graphical apps to actually work. iOS apps work perfectly but Windows GUI packages aren’t playing ball. I’ve refined the process to a batch file which on a click does the job and saves typing out MAC addresses.

I’ve got WSPR running!

Screenshot 2014-11-07 17.24.10

Screenshot 2014-11-07 17.54.39

Learning points – Microsoft Remote Desktop isn’t going to work for this project. The audio which works nicely is provided via a cunning virtual remote audio device and as such you have no control over the physical audio devices within the machine you are accessing over the virtual connection.

Tight VNC, on the other hand, allows you to control and access all the functionality of the remote machine BUT you don’t get any audio. I’m going to be back to working out how to stream that audio to overcome this issue. Oh well, you can’t have everything, but it’s working nicely at the moment

 

Advertisements